Shed Extra Inches around Your Waist with a Tummy Tuck
Excess fat in the abdomen is a problem that affects many people. Unfortunately, diet and exercise often do not improve this stubborn area of the body. Even those who are successful with losing weight often find that they are left with skin laxity and an unattractive contour. Fortunately, cosmetic surgeon Roger J. Oldham and his highly trained team routinely achieve excellent results through abdominoplasty, also known as tummy tuck surgery, at our Bethesda, MD, practice.
Tummy Tuck Procedure: At a Glance
Tummy tucks have been performed successfully for many years, making it one of the most time-tested cosmetic surgery procedures. Given continuing advances in plastic surgery, patients can now benefit from more refined, natural-looking results.
The purpose of any tummy tuck procedure performed at our Bethesda practice is to remove excess skin from the mid-abdominal area and tighten the underlying muscles.
At our cosmetic surgery practice, Dr. Oldham tailors every procedure he performs to the specific needs and aesthetic goals of the individual patient. During a consultation with Dr. Oldham, you will have the opportunity to discuss the results you can expect from tummy tuck surgery, and the benefits and risks associated with the procedure. You will also review the tummy tuck recovery process, and how the surgery can be customized to provide you with the best possible outcome.
The purpose of any tummy tuck procedure performed at our Bethesda practice is to remove excess skin from the mid-abdominal area and tighten the underlying abdominal muscles. Liposuction is also commonly used to address deposits of fatty tissue in the abdomen, as well as the flanks, or love handles. The result will be a more toned and defined abdomen.
Your Pre-surgical Appointment
When meeting with Dr. Oldham during your pre-surgical appointment, he will review the procedure with you in detail, carefully explaining the technique being used, and will also take the time to answer your questions and discuss any concerns. He will also provide you with a list of instructions to follow before your surgery. Properly preparing for your procedure will ensure you achieve optimal results. Your instructions will cover:
- Diet and Exercise: Patients who achieve a healthy and stable weight beforehand, consume healthy food, and follow an exercise routine are not only able to heal quicker, but will maintain their results longer.
- Medications and Supplements: Dr. Oldham will review your current medications and supplements and make adjustments as needed. This may include avoiding aspirin, ibuprofen, blood thinners, and green tea extract. When meeting with Dr. Oldham, it is imperative that you reveal all the medications you are taking, including birth control, hormone therapy, and over-the-counter pain relievers.
- Smoking: Tobacco products can restrict healthy blood flow throughout your body, causing you to heal slowly. Smoking also places you at a greater risk for developing infection and other post-surgical complications. Dr. Oldham will want to know your smoking history.
Variations on Tummy Tuck Surgery
Tummy tuck surgery can be modified according to the amount of excess skin and fat present in the abdominal area. For some patients, a mini tummy tuck will achieve the desired result. This variation on traditional abdominoplasty requires smaller incisions and a less extensive procedure. As a result, the healing time is typically shorter. Traditional tummy tuck surgery involves longer incisions, but may also produce a more dramatic transformation of the abdomen.
Anatomic features among men and women are different and the surgery is customized to accommodate those variations. The aesthetic goals of males and females are also different. Dr. Oldham employs varied surgical approaches to fulfill these goals. Some women who undergo a tummy tuck also choose to undergo breast reduction, breast lift or breast augmentation as part of a more comprehensive body contouring plan.
Benefits and Results
When diet and exercise have failed to provide a flatter and more toned midsection, a tummy tuck can deliver realistic results. How long your results last will depend heavily on whether you live a healthy and active lifestyle. Once your body has fully recovered, you can enjoy:
- A smaller waistline
- A sleeker and smoother abdomen
- Minimal to no stretch marks along the abdomen
- More clothing options
- Improved self-confidence
- Tighter abdominal muscles
What Are the Risks Involved?
Knowing the risks beforehand can help you make better and more informed decisions throughout your recovery. Dr. Oldham is highly trained as a board certified surgeon to deliver optimal results. However, when undergoing surgery, there is always some risk involved. Common tummy tuck risks include:
- Excessive swelling and pain
- Prolonged bruising
- Delayed healing (especially for patients who smoke)
- Unnatural blood clots
- Negative reaction to anesthesia
Factors that Affect Tummy Tuck Cost
Since each tummy tuck is tailored to the individual patient, the costs involved vary from patient to patient. Your tummy tuck cost will be based on a number of factors, including:
- The type of surgical technique used
- Whether liposuction is included
- Whether additional cosmetic procedures are combined
- The complexity of the procedure
During your pre-surgical appointment, Dr. Oldham will create a treatment plan personalized to your unique needs, taking the time to explain the procedure in detail and the costs involved. Since tummy tuck surgery is considered a cosmetic procedure, it is generally not covered by insurance. In such cases, we offer CareCredit® and MedicalFinancing™ to help make treatment costs more manageable.
Learn More about Tummy Tuck Surgery
If you are dissatisfied with the appearance of your abdomen, Dr. Roger J. Oldham can explain how you could benefit from tummy tuck surgery at his Bethesda practice, serving the entire Maryland and Washington, D.C. region. Contact our practice today to schedule your confidential, one-on-one consultation with Dr. Oldham.